Welcome Viewers

On this blog there is good up to date information on rats. Below to the right are the dates of when I posted stuff. Click on the side ways arowose to see the posts that I wrote for that month. If you would like to read a little about me click on "Me and My Blog." Please feel free to watch the You Tube videos about rats - except for the five random videos that keep coming up, they have nothing to do with rats. I don't know why, also please vote on the serveys and leave comments. Please come back every once in a while because I will be posting things very often, so stay in tune. Feel free to click on the adds, some of them you may find helpful because they will bring you to discount rat cages. Hope this blog is useful. Thanks for reading!

Search Here

Custom Search

Friday, March 21, 2008

Answers to Your Questions From the Comment Box

This post is of any questions you asked in the comment box. So please feel free to ask more questions. I'll try to answer you back as soon as possible.


Question #1. Someone asked if that was my dog in the picture under the post, "Me and My Blog" to answer your question. Yes, that is my dog in the picture. In case you were wondering what kind of dog he is, he is a Bernese Mountain Dog. He ways 120 pounds and is named Rex. Here is the same picture:

Someone asked if I have heard of a rat living 7 years (130 human years). To answer your question, no, I haven't, and I don't think it is possible because I don't think a human has ever lived over 130 years. Although my last rat lived pretty long. She live to be about 2 and a half years old, maybe even longer. So she lived to be about 75 human years. The rat that lived that long was named Daisy and she is in the picture above on top of my dog's head. For more information on how long rats live compared to humans click on "How Long do Rats live - really cool" and that is under March 19.

Someone else asked a question in which I thought was very important. Someone asked, "what should i do to tell my kid that her rat is dying???????" That is a very important question because one of the hardest things to go through when having a rat is if they are dying. Especially if you have to tell it to a child. My last rat, Daisy, was getting old, she was about 2 and a half to 3. And she was going blind, losing her hearing, and had a huge tumor. I hated to see her like this. One day when I came home, I took her out of her cage, and wrapped her in a blanket so she'd stay warm, because I knew she was dying. She soon fell a sleep in my lap. After a little while she woke up, crawled up on my chest, had a seizure for only like 8 seconds, and right on my chest she died. In just 8 seconds. Hopefully that won't happen to your child. But there are some ways to tell your kid that their rat is dying. A good way to tell it to them is to say, "I'm very sorry but your rat is going through a tough time and is very sick and we will do every thing we can to try to make her better." Even if your almost positive your rat is going to die you still shouldn't tell them that, it won't make them feel better. Tell the child "you'll do everything you can to help." If death comes you should tell him or her, "Your rat lived a good and happy life and you took great care of him, but it was time for her to go. And in heaven she's not sick any more and in heaven she's living with lots of rats, and she's happier now." If your child's rat had tumors tell him or her, "Now she has no more tumors and she can walk a lot better now. I'm sure she wouldn't be any happier with another owner than she was with you. You took such great care of her" What I just told you to say shouldn't be the only thing you should say, these are just some ideas. I hope this advice didn't come to late I was very sick for 10 days, but now I'm better.

Thank-you for asking questions and leaving comments. Any other questions I'll try to answer as soon as possible!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My babysitter had a seven year old rat.

Jilian said...

Darla said...
Thank you for your blog about rats.. i have 2 standard, i think,,, and they are young, and i think they have come from the save litter. Anyways, they are males, and some times i see them wrestling, is that normal? I do notice them grooming each other and cuddling etc, and also i was was wondering how much to feed them and how often? Do i just make sure that food is there all the time or what? Also the cage is 11"high and wide, and 21" long right now.. would that be a good size for one rat?
July 11, 2009 4:40 PM

If you don't think rats are necessarily the pet you are looking for, but want a pet similar to a rat, I would look into a chinchilla. This link is great for the history of chinchillas, and is really interesting.
Google

Have any questions or comments? Email me at ratmanbv@gmail.com

ratmanbv@gmail.com