Welcome Viewers

On this blog there is good up to date information on rats. Below to the right are the dates of when I posted stuff. Click on the side ways arowose to see the posts that I wrote for that month. If you would like to read a little about me click on "Me and My Blog." Please feel free to watch the You Tube videos about rats - except for the five random videos that keep coming up, they have nothing to do with rats. I don't know why, also please vote on the serveys and leave comments. Please come back every once in a while because I will be posting things very often, so stay in tune. Feel free to click on the adds, some of them you may find helpful because they will bring you to discount rat cages. Hope this blog is useful. Thanks for reading!

Search Here

Custom Search

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Grooming Your Rat and Bathing It

One way to keep your rat cleaner is brushing it. The best brush to use is a freshly opened, never used toothbrush. With that you can brush your rat gently. Washing your rat can be easy and it can be difficult. Some rats are calmer when it comes to water, and some don't even like there tail in the water. My two rats do not like water but some rats love water so much you can teach them how to swim. There is some things you will need to wash your rat. You will need a large size bowl (bigger than a cereal bowl) or a sink with no cleaning chemicals in it. You will also need baby shampoo, or cat shampoo, your brushing toothbrush, and a towel. First fill the bowl to no higher than your rats neck with warm water. Place the towel next to the bowl. Next dip your rat in the bowl, your rat may hate the water and scratch you. Try to relax your rat by rubbing behind its ears, or whatever relaxes it. After you get its whole body whet, but not its head, take him or her out of the bowl and stand it upright with its feet on the towel. After that, rub some soap on her. Make sure you rub the soap in good. Then stick him in the bowl again and rub the soap off, if you can, brush him with that never-used toothbrush to help get all of the soap off. When your sure its all off, dry her off with a new towel, make sure you get all of the water off. If you don't the rat could get cold and get pneumonia. You should do this every week or two. Never let your rat swim in your pool, the chemicals can be harmful! If anything, let him swim in your bath tub. Please be careful and make sure she knows how to swim!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know rats could swim!

Anonymous said...

Do I have to bathe my rat? He doesn't like water and when ever I try to bathe him he races ut of the water. Any suggestions?

Rat Man said...

If you keep your rat's cage clean and he doesn't smell - which rats usually don't - than your rat should be fine and won't need a bath, but a bath is always good.

Ali Fran said...

I have two rats, but I never knew you could bathe or brush them! I did know that if you give a chinchilla a water bath it will die because it won't dry off, but I didn't know about rats!

Anonymous said...

I actually introduced my rats slowly to water, also had rat treats which I give to them after the bath, over a small time frame my eldest has seen water as a positive, not negative, now the others are catching on.. Every rat has a different personality, and each adapts to things differently. My rats follow the eldest...

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's always necessary to bathe your rat since rats are very clean, they spend 70% of thier time grooming themselves and usually don't need to be bathed by humans. If your rats like it though, then of course you should!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys. I wash my rat on a 2weekly basis, it's hot here on the Gold Coast and its just a necessity... They like to marrinate in their own urine so its a welcomed job to clean them up. If you use a shampoo, try using a animal herbal based soap as it wont sting their eye's or strip any necessary oils from their skin... Also after a warm bath its easier to trim their claws... And yes rats swim very well, I take mine to my local beach (no waves), mind you some rat owners have taught their rats to stand on a minature surf board...

Anonymous said...

I actually saw a special on Discovery that says rats can tread water for THREE DAYS non-stop. They were talking about sewer rats, but I thought that was pretty amazing!

Serena said...

Can you make your rat like water or do you have to deal with it if it doesn't like water? My rat doesn't even want his feet in the water.

P.S-Do rats poop while exercising if they aren't scared???

Serena said...

Can you make your rat like water or do you have to deal with it if it doesn't like water? My rat doesn't even want his feet in the water. Do rats have to get bathed every week or two?

Anonymous said...

i tried putting a tupperware container filled with water in my rats cage and putting treats in it (lettuce, blueberries, etc) and at first they went in just for the treats but now they really like water.

Anonymous said...

my rat hates baths but can u use dog and cat shampoo or will it hurt their skin and have u ever used it??

??

please email me back:

bb.hartmann2000@gmail.com

toni said...

You can now buy Rat shampoo, or small animal shampoo which is what i use on my rats, except one of them screams like she is being murdered when i wash her, yet she doesn't try to get away and just sits in the sink or lets me hold her under the tap, i think she is a bit of a drama queen.

hope said...

I might be getting rats, and it'll be the first time I've owned one. a few questions; can they eat pretzels? Is there any Rat Wheels so when I clean the cage they can exercise? That's all. Please email me at pumkinpie12@gmail.com with any helpful tips.

Anonymous said...

hey so the person i live with is all out against me having any pet rats & i'm having a hard time trying to convince them any sugestions?>:I

Unknown said...

Yay! So glad to know this! Bathing is not always good for small furry friends. Rabbits can die of hypothermia very quickly from being wet or bathed :(

Anonymous said...

Look I am talking so serious here. I am only ten. But I want a pair of rats so so badly.my family wou
D not let me have a dog. The only other animals that I could only dream of having are rats and mice. I want rats more. My family says that if I work hard in school this year that I could a pet depending on what it is. I do not think my mom wants rats.

Do you have any tips that would help my mom see how great rats are?

Emma Roberts said...

Fantastic Post! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating.cleaning bath brush

If you don't think rats are necessarily the pet you are looking for, but want a pet similar to a rat, I would look into a chinchilla. This link is great for the history of chinchillas, and is really interesting.
Google

Have any questions or comments? Email me at ratmanbv@gmail.com

ratmanbv@gmail.com