Welcome Viewers

On this blog there is good up to date information on rats. Below to the right are the dates of when I posted stuff. Click on the side ways arowose to see the posts that I wrote for that month. If you would like to read a little about me click on "Me and My Blog." Please feel free to watch the You Tube videos about rats - except for the five random videos that keep coming up, they have nothing to do with rats. I don't know why, also please vote on the serveys and leave comments. Please come back every once in a while because I will be posting things very often, so stay in tune. Feel free to click on the adds, some of them you may find helpful because they will bring you to discount rat cages. Hope this blog is useful. Thanks for reading!

Search Here

Custom Search

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Potty Training Your Rat

You've probably been wondering, can I potty train my rat. You actually can. Some rats learn easier than others, and some don't learn as easy. To potty train your rat, you have to be consistent. Rats raised in a small cage with waste everywhere tend not to learn to go potty in a particular area. Other rats will naturally use one spot. When rats wake up, one of the first things they need to do is to go potty. If you watch your rat you should be able to find out if there is a place where they always go potty. If you're there when your rat wakes up, when he goes to relieve himself say a word like "potty". Soon she will start to associate the word with the action. When you are holding your rat outside of the cage and you notice it looking around for somewhere to "go" quickly pick up your rat and rush it back to the cage to the 'toilet corner' repeating the word you chose. You may have also noticed that rats lift up their tail when they urinate, if you gently lift up your rat's tail in the potty corner and say the word you chose, that will help her understand what you want it to learn. For a potty, you can either buy a litter box specially designed for rats or hamsters at your local pet store (or Petco.com), or you can get a tray for your rat to 'go in'. One method of cleaning is to thoroughly clean their cage every weak,but leave a little of the old bedding on the corner or the tray you want them to go in. That helps them signify what it's for. You can also use a different bedding where you want them to go, along with the other methods of potty training.
All of your questions are under Mar. 21. I hope they didn't come too late.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi-
I found this information really useful. I will tell my friends about it.

Anonymous said...

Hey rats are so cool what should i do to tell my kid that her rat is dying???????
Love
had a baby

Anonymous said...

i tryed and tryed but it didn't work

Rat Man said...

Did you make sure that the litter in the litter box was far from the same color as the bedding in the rest of the cage? Another thing to do is to, when you clean the cage to put some of the waste from the bedding into the the litter box, that will help the rats see its a litter box. Also when you take your rat out of its cage to hold it, place your rat on top of the litter box, because usually after a rat wakes up, it needs to go. Lastly when you're holding your rat, if it starts to go on you, quickly place it on top of the litter box. Hope this was useful.
Rat Man

Anonymous said...

I tried to potty-train my rat also but it didn't work. I put it in a corner that my rat usually goes in, but my rat doesn't really have a speacil corner to go in. He just goes all around the cage. I don't know what to do. Please help!

DizzyJazzy said...

The author of this post left out that you have to place all of the poop from your pet into the litter box. When you see poop outside the litter box, put it in the box every time.

Anonymous said...

This helped so much with my two Dumbo Rats

Thanks

Kathryn said...

my rat just seemed to prefer to urinate on plastic so when i got her a new cage i purchased a corner litter box so she could urinate in it. she uses that for urine but just poops where ever. i like she urinates just there because it is easier clean up. just thought it was interesting how she liked plastic.

Anonymous said...

Hi Did you like this information? I've started a new blog kin of thing that I think will be super helpful. If you liked this blog try mine!

https://sites.google.com/site/rats4petslotz0breeds/home

Anonymous said...

USE MY BLOG THAT IS SUPER SIMILAR!!!


https://sites.google.com/site/rats4petslotz0breeds/home

Anonymous said...

USE MY WEBSITE IF YOU WANT INFO!!!


https://sites.google.com/site/rats4petslotz0breeds/home

lauren said...

hi,i have two female dumbo rats and one of them seems to be catching on to poop in the corner but the other isn't and also my rats keep peeing on the ramps no matter what i do can ya help me? please

RattyLover said...

Awesome ill try that with my new rat Thanks!



--
RattyLover

Anonymous said...

I have two rats and I was using the Wheat Litter that I use for my cats but that just kept eating it so I stopped using it. What kind of litter should I use?

If you don't think rats are necessarily the pet you are looking for, but want a pet similar to a rat, I would look into a chinchilla. This link is great for the history of chinchillas, and is really interesting.
Google

Have any questions or comments? Email me at ratmanbv@gmail.com

ratmanbv@gmail.com