Welcome Viewers

On this blog there is good up to date information on rats. Below to the right are the dates of when I posted stuff. Click on the side ways arowose to see the posts that I wrote for that month. If you would like to read a little about me click on "Me and My Blog." Please feel free to watch the You Tube videos about rats - except for the five random videos that keep coming up, they have nothing to do with rats. I don't know why, also please vote on the serveys and leave comments. Please come back every once in a while because I will be posting things very often, so stay in tune. Feel free to click on the adds, some of them you may find helpful because they will bring you to discount rat cages. Hope this blog is useful. Thanks for reading!

Search Here

Custom Search

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mycoplasmosis

Mycoplasmosis is the most common health problem seen in rats. Mycoplasmosis is basicly an infection that can turn into a respritory infetion. A rat can be infected with this without showing any symptoms. (To abreviate the infection mycoplasmosis I'm just going to call it MS.) But it eventually causes respritory disease in most infected rats. MS can also cause lung damage even if there haven't been any synptoms. MS is contagios and incurable in rats and mice. The severity of a MS infection is increased by cigarette smoke, ammonia from a dirty cage, genetic susceptibility, lack of vitamin A or E, or a concurrent respitory infection of another type. The first symptom of MS is sneezing that might go away then come back. Even if you don't hear sneezing you can look for the results of sneezing: red spatters on the walls or bedding. The red color comes from a pigment in rat tears that run down into the nose and are sneezed out. After several months the symptoms usually progress to wheezing. People sometimes mistake wheezing for "rat talking". Any noise made while breathing is wheezing. Wheezing can sound like grunting, squeaking, and sometimes like "monkey sounds." Eventually the lungs are damaged. The symtoms may then increase to respiratory distress. That causes rats to gasp through their mouths or dash about in panic when they can't get enough air. A rat with MS is usually active and eats normally throughout the progression of the disease. Treatment with antiboitics can be used when wheezing or other severe symptoms occur. Secondary bacterial infections can occur along with the MS infection and can result in an infection that has a more rapid onset of symptoms such as: lethargy, loss of appetite, runny eyes and nose, and labored breathing. But don't worry, its part of nature.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI

YOUR BLOG HAS SO MUCH INFO.RATS ARE SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO COOL!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good info on rats. You really know ur stuff! By the way, is that ur dog in the article on March 18?

Anonymous said...

my rat lucy now 2 years old sneezed all winter but for 4 monthes she hasn't sneezed, how can i can i know that it is MS or not ? i need more info .

Rat Man said...

You would know if your rat has MS if it showed other signs of MS. Sneezing is just one of them, if you noticed porphryn coming out of your rat's nose when it sneezes, that is another symptom of MS. It sounds like your rat doesn't have MS, but if you notice any other signs of it, your rat may have MS.

Anonymous said...

I just got two new baby boy rats, about a week ago. When I brought them home one was sneezing every-so-often, and in 3 days hes gone from sneezing a bit, to sneezing ALOT. Because I'm a first-time rat owner I'm not really sure if this is just a cold, or a slight irritation. I use shavings that are safe, and I just started putting vitamin drops in their water in hopes of keeping a healthy diet. I was reccommended to try this antibiotic at the pet store which is for birds but it's supposed to help with lung infections. Could it be MS? What do you think?

P.S Love the site, keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

further more...

the brother caught the sneezing, and he is getting progressivly worse too:( There is no discharge coming from either of they're noses. I'm really worried!

Anonymous said...

Now there is red discharge coming from their noses when they sneeze:(:( Is it easier for baby rats to catch this infection then adult rats?

Rat Man said...

If your rat is making a wheezing sound when he is breathing, than that could be bad. Since I haven't seen your rat personally, I can't tell you if he has MS or not. My best suggestion is to give them vegetables with vitamins E and A.

celtwitch said...

hi i;m new to this blog,came across it when researching rat breeds.
anyways , i have a female rat,russian blue,misha. she's really sick. she has a tumor growing on her side,sneezes ALOT,& her eyes are constantly covered w/red stuff.i have to keep cleaning her face/eyes jst so she can see ;~(
what do you think this is & is there anything i can do to help her? i have only personally had her for about 6mths. i also think she may have a vision problem. any advice?
sincerely,
celtwitch
celtwitchx@hotmail.com

Ali Fran said...

I recently discovered that my rat has Microplasma... I wonder if it's the same thing as what your talking about. It has exactly the same symptoms.

I also have a piece of valuable information. Rats at PetSmart are more prone to diseases than rats from Petco. And at Petco, if your animal gets sick, instead of replacing the rat, they treat it in their madical center for FREE. That's why buying a rat from Petco is a better choice. I found that out the hard way...

If you find this bit of info helpful, I would be thrilled to get an e-mail from you. My e-mail is: alithefran@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

We have three female rats and love them very much. All three got sick and one was so bad she nearly died. I knew nothing of MS at the time. At first I thought she was just a snorer. By the time she was actually having a runny nose and eyes she was very ill, lost a lot of weight and it cost me over $400 to save them. But even then the vet(s) didn't say it was incurable. While the two that never got as sick are just fine,the one we nearly lost still makes sounds breathing. I've met with a 'rat' person in town and she says my girl will need to be on meds for life. So, be it....their sweet lives are so short, it's ok for them to be medicated for life. I also found a bird site that I can buy the meds from. That way I can avoid more trips of huge expense to the vet. All are doing so much better. I love that even if the cage door is left open they refuse to run away. Not that we ALLOWED that, but with an 8 year old as the 'rat-mama' it has happened a time or two. I've had just about everything in way of pets, and we are on our 3rd set of rats....they rule in the rodent world. Nothing like them. When we are ready for more I can't wait for the Dumbo rats with curly hair. Too too cute.
I'm curious if letting them outside at all now that the weather is so nice is ok while they are still a little sick...???

If you don't think rats are necessarily the pet you are looking for, but want a pet similar to a rat, I would look into a chinchilla. This link is great for the history of chinchillas, and is really interesting.
Google

Have any questions or comments? Email me at ratmanbv@gmail.com

ratmanbv@gmail.com